HID Local Offer

Icknield High School, Hearing Impaired Provision Local Offer

Updated in February 2017.


Welcome to Icknield High school Hearing Impaired Provision Local Offer.

This HID Local Offer is additional to Icknield High School SEND (Special Education Needs and Disability) information report; a document outlining this schools provision for students who have special education needs and disability.

The HID Local Offer and SEND information report are set out in the same way with similar content as we recognise that Deaf or Hearing Impaired students may also (but not always) have additional needs. The HID Local Offer contains information only relevant to students who have a place in the HID provision.
The school SEN policy is a separate document.


Icknield High School provides Luton Borough Council Hearing Impaired (HI) Provision for students aged between eleven and sixteen years. The HI department is an integral part of our inclusive school; we support Deaf and Hearing Impaired students with their inclusion in mainstream education and encourage their participation in all aspects of school life.

The Hearing Impaired Department (HID) is a sixteen-place provision for students who have a various levels of hearing impairments. Students may be profoundly deaf with a hearing loss of above 90 decibels (dB) or severely deaf with a loss above 70 dB. All students will have a bilateral (both ears) hearing loss of more than 50 dB.

Increasingly, students in the provision have cochlear implants, others may have bone anchored or conventional post aural (behind the ear) hearing aids. Students can use radio aids to give one-to-one access to their learning however, some students do not find this beneficial, as their preferred learning language is British Sign Language (BSL).

The local authority allocates places in the Hearing Impaired Provision. Students must have a Statement of special educational need and disability (SEND) or an Educational Health Care plan that identifies hearing impairment as their primary disability. Sometimes students in the HI provision may have special educational needs.

Why do school have a special educational needs and disability (Hearing Impaired) information report?

In September 2014 the Government passed a new law called the Children and Families Act 2014. This told children and young people and their parents/carer about the things they could expect and the things that people who work with them must do.

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 2014 (0-25 SEND code of Practice) was a part of this act. This told education providers such as schools and colleges what they must do for children and young people with special educational needs and disability.

So that students and their parents/carers can find out about what a school does a special educational needs and disability information report has to be displayed on the school website.

Luton Borough Council provided questions for Luton schools to answer to tell everyone about arrangements for special educational needs and disability in their schools.

Read Icknield High schools answers to these questions.

The 2014 SEND Code of Practice describes SEN as:

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

– have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age: or
– Have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

Classroom teachers are in charge of making sure that the needs of students with SEND are met in the classroom and in special small group work that takes place outside the classroom.

Some students have special plans called Statements of special educational needs and disability or Educational Health Care plans. These plans are written with the views of students, parents/carers, teachers and experts. Each plan is different for each student.

These plans tell school how many hours of Learning Support Assistant time, Educational Communicator time, support for small group sessions and one to one work is needed to make good progress. It may also make recommendations about specialist equipment or resources required by the students. This support is provided in school for the student. A students’ special educational needs and disability may change over time, therefore to make sure the plan will develop the type of skills needed for adulthood, they are discussed and changed at meetings that happen at least every year.

Some students without special plans, but with SEND, may need extra support to make good progress. School staff, parents/carers and the student will discuss the reasons for the lack of progress and may decide that the student needs extra planned support, called SEN support. With parent/carers’ permission, student names are added to a school list that tells staff that these students need extra support. Advice from experts may be used to tell school what to do to support good progress. Some students placed at SEN support will respond to the extra support and move off the SEN Support list; other students may stay at this stage for a longer period of time. Some students will move off and on the SEN Support list many times throughout High school.

A very few students may not make good progress at SEN support. They may need a high level of one-to- one support. These students may have complex needs, school will work with experts to identify the barriers to good progress. Sometimes after discussion with parent/carers and experts, the school will ask the Local Authority to consider if the student requires an Education Health Care plan needs assessment.

QUESTION 1: How does the school find out about students with a hearing impairment?

  • Students who have a place in the HI provision have Statements of SEND or EHC plans; they come to Icknield High School with information that identifies their strengths and weaknesses and provides recommendations and advice about how to support their attainment and progress.
  • Listening to students and their parents/carers.
  • Staff at the previous school sending information and talking to Icknield High School.
  • Reading reports from people like Doctors or speech and language therapists.
  •  Teachers looking at students work and spotting when progress is NOT good.
  •  Using information from tests and assessments such as subject tests, reports from the end of Primary school or special tests that are carried out by Teachers of the Deaf or other experts or the school SENCO.

QUESTION 2: How does the school arrange support for students with a hearing impairment and what support is offered?

  • During year six additional visits are arranged for hearing impaired students who are transferring to Icknield in year seven.
  • A teacher of the deaf will see all students every week in compliance with individual student’s needs which are identified in their EHCp or Statemented.  The TOD will also be on hand to advise communicators and class teachers of best practice.
  •  An Educational Communicator will accompany the HI student into classes use British Sign Language or Signed Supported English to interpret the teacher’s words.
  • The use of an individual FM system so the HI student has direct access to the teacher.
  • A note-taker to write notes throughout the lesson and give to the HI student at the end.
  • Access to and support from a Speech and Language Therapist (currently, we have a speech and language therapist for 2 days per week.)
  • Weekly hearing aid checks.
  • Teaching of British Sign Language and taking of BSL1 and 2 exams as part of the curriculum.
  • Small group work to reinforce the curriculum with either a Teacher of the Deaf or and Educational Communicator.

The HID Manager, SENCO or Educational Communicator will: –

  • Help school staff to understand what they must do for students with a hearing impairment.
  • Look after the day-to-day provision for HI students.
  • Ensure that students with a hearing impairment and their parents/carers have opportunities to be involved in decisions.
  • All HI students within the HID will have EHC plans or Statements of SEND.  These plans are written with the views of students, parents/carers, teachers and experts.  Each plan is different for each student.
  • These plans tell the school how many hours of Educational Communicator time, Teacher of the Deaf time, Speech and Language Therapist time are needed for the HI student to make good progress. It may also make recommendations about specialist equipment or resources required by the student.
  • The support is provided in school for the student.  The EHCp will be reviewed and updated every year to take into account the changing needs of the student.

Sometimes the SENCO and or HID managers action identifies a SEND that requires additional support and after discussion and agreement with the student and parent/carer the student will receive SEN support to address the need. SENDs vary; some Deaf and Hearing Impaired students may have an identified SEN recorded on the school SEND list for most or their entire school career, others may access an intervention and make progress in this area and have that SEND removed from the information on the SEND list. All Deaf and Hearing Impaired students who have a place in the HI provision are identified on the school SEND list, as they have a statement of SEN or an EHC plan.

An Inclusion Passport is written with the student; this contains the student’s views and highlights their learning strengths and weaknesses.  Family/ carer views are sometimes included as well as strategies and information.  The Inclusion Passport is available to all staff and is shared with home and regularly reviewer by keyworkers and annually by the HID Manager.

Some students who receive SEN support for their additional SEN needs may not make expected progress and in discussion with parents/ carers school and HI staff and the SENCO additional advice and help may be sought from outside professionals such as the school Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Child and Mental Health services CAMHS or Deaf CAMHS.

Useful Websites.


QUESTION 3: Who are the key people in the school to discuss parental/carers concerns about a student’s difficulties?

The Local Authority

Icknield staff work with all students.  Sometimes students with SEND and their parents/carers require extra help. The following staff in these areas can support students with SEND.

Mrs Knighton is a Deputy Head Teacher in charge of student affairs she oversees these 5 areas.

Mrs Knighton. Email:JKNIGHTON@ickneild.beds.sch.uk
Pastoral Team Student Support Officer First Aid Officer Special educational needs and disability department Student Individual Support Plan Office (SISPO)

The Pastoral Team.

The Head of Year and Pastoral Support Officer look after the general needs of the year group. The form tutor supports students with day to day school life. A Learning Support Assistant or Educational Communicator may be in form groups where there are students with SEND, they may also be the students’ keyworker. The pastoral team can discuss concerns or will find the right people in school to help.

Tie colour Year Head of year. Pastoral Support officer.
Green 11 Mrs Akhtar Mrs MCabe
Red 10 Mrs Brookes Mrs Khan
Blue 9 Mr Hince Mrs Hill
Yellow 8 Mr Chopra Mrs Beckett
Silver 7 Mrs Rankin Mrs Hardman

The Student Support Officer.

Mrs Barry is the Student Support Officer. She will need to be told about planned absence and illness.

Students with SEND may have needs that lower school attendance. Mrs Barry and the SEND department work closely together. Mrs Barry will give advice and support to students and their parents/carers about managing medical appointments so that attendance is the best that they can achieve.

Student Support Office Contact number Email
Mrs A Barry 01582 576561 info@icknield.beds.sch.uk

First Aid Officer.

Mr Forbes, Assistant Head Teacher oversees the support in school for medical needs.

Mrs Goddard, the First Aid Officer, works with the School Nurse and other health services to put in place plans for students with medical needs. Health care plans are available so staff know important health information.

The school use the guidance and templates from:

‘Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions’ April 2014. Ref DFE-00393- 2014.


Mr Forbes. Email: GFORBES@icknield.beds.sch.uk
Icknield First Aid Officer Contact number Email
Mrs D. Goddard 01582 576561 Ext. 210 DGODDARD@icknield.beds.sch.uk


The School Nurse is supported by a team to promote health and emotional wellbeing in schools.

The Special Needs Nursing team provides clinical care to children and young people with complex health needs or disabilities who attend schools/social care settings.

The Paediatric Epilepsy Nursing service supports effective diagnosis and care of children/young people with a diagnosis of epilepsy, avoiding unnecessary hospital admissions/attendances.

Icknield school nurse, is not based at school Central contact number
03334 050088

Mrs J Mureithi, Cambridgeshire Community Service, School Nursing services, Futures House, Marsh Farm, Luton, LU3 3QB.

 The specialist nursing teams Contact Lyn Jackson, Team Lead on 01582 708173
Address: Futures House, 1st Floor, Marsh Farm  Luton LU3 3QB

 SEND Department

Mrs Jones is Icknield High school Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO).

Email: BJONES@icknield.beds.sch.uk

Mrs Jones looks after the day to day needs of SEND and also oversees the

  • Hearing Impairment provision (HI)
  • English as an Additional Language (EAL).


Key staff Email Example of Role
Mrs Cooper

Deputy SENCO

LCOOPER@icknield.beds.sch.uk o   Runs the department when Mrs Jones is out of school.
Mrs Butler. MBUTTLER@icknield.beds.sch.uk o   Helps to manage the department
Mrs Shuttleworth.

Office admin

SSHUTTLEWORTH@icknield.beds.sch.uk o   Makes appointments, organises diary events and paperwork.
Miss Valaba. Trainee Speech and Language Therapist works with students and supervises   Learning Support Assistants to provide for students who have Speech, Language and Communication Needs.
Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) work within the classroom and in the department. They are keyworkers for students with Special educational needs and disabilities.

Hearing impairment (HI) provision.

Icknield High school host Luton Borough provision for Deaf and hearing impaired students.

Key staff Email Example of Role
Mrs Lakeland PLAKELAND@icknield.beds.sch.uk HI Manager, looks after the day to day needs of Deaf and HI  students
Mrs Berrington is a Teacher of the Deaf, she teaches students who are deaf or have a hearing impairment. She supervises work in the department and offers general support to staff.
Communicators work within the classroom and in the Hearing Impaired Provision. They are keyworkers for Deaf or hearing impaired students. Communicators are able to support deaf students using British Sign Language, Signed Supported English and note taking.A Speech and Language Therapist offers weekly sessions and works with the HID staff to deliver SALT daily, if necessary.

English as an additional language. (EAL)

Students who have English as an Additional Language and who fail to make the same progress as their classmates will not automatically be highlighted as a student with special educational learning needs. However, if English as an additional need is ruled out as a barrier to good progress, they may be assessed to find out if a special educational need is preventing progress.

Key staff Email Example of Role
Mrs Quraishi &

Mrs Noble



Organise in class support and provide small group work for students newly arrived to the country.
 English as an additional language Teaching Assistants work within the classroom with students with additional language needs. They are sometimes keyworkers for students with special educational needs.

The Student Individual Support Plan Office (SISPO)

Key staff Email  Example of Role
Mrs Knighton is the designated teacher for Looked after children
Mrs Walsh

Inclusion officer

MWALSH@icknield.beds.sch.uk Looks after students who have support from social care and other professionals.
Mrs Abbas

Family worker

SABBAS@icknield.beds.sch.uk Supports families.
 School counsellors  work with students  with SEND on a one to one or in a small group.


QUESTION 4: How will parents/carers know about progress within school and how will progress be measured?

The key times to discuss progress are?

  • Subject and tutor consultation evenings. Dates are on the school website and can be found in the newsletter. SEND department staff attend parent evenings and can be located in CS1.
  • Annual Review meetings and six monthly meetings.
  • When students update their inclusion passport with their keyworker.
  • When parents and carers have concerns and make an appointment with the SEND department.

How does the school explain and report on student progress?

  • A letter to parents/carers explains the changes in reporting progress for students in different years.
  • A termly progress check details student progress across the curriculum and reports upon students’ attitude to learning.

How is progress shared?

  • For students with Statements of special educational needs or Educational Health Care plans a report from staff explain progress against targets set at the annual review meeting. This occurs at least annually but is often more frequent.
  • Whole school reading assessments are reported on the termly progress check.
  • Additional assessment show progress in tests and in extra group work or interventions.
  • A termly progress check is sent home.
  • Students and teachers talk about progress and next steps in learning.
  • School staff talk with parents/carers at parent/carer evenings, on the telephone, at meetings and by email.
  • Some students use a home school contact book for messages, have postcards sent home and positive home telephone calls.
  • A very few students have a daily one-to-one feedback at home time.


QUESTION 5: How does the school respond to other concerns?

School staff:

  • Are always happy to talk with students and parents/carers. An appointment can be arranged via a note in a planner or telephone call.
  • Work with the Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service SENDIAS a service which gives advice about student’s rights and SEND. Luton SENDIAS contacts are:

Vicki Lloyd: 01525 719 754 and Olwen Davies. Telephone: 01582 548 156.

Email: parentpartnership@luton.gov.uk. Additional Information can be found at www.luton.gov.uk.

  • May suggest an Early Health Assessment is started in school to investigate the range of outside school support available to the student and family. The student and parent/carer decide if they want this help and have control over the information shared.

Additional information can be found at:

Early Help Assessment (EHA) – Luton Borough Council www.luton.gov.uk/eha.


QUESTION 6: What support will parents/carers receive if a student has SENDs?

Icknield School

  • Builds good relationships with students with special educational needs and Disability and their parents/carers. Staff listen and provide help and advice. If they don’t know the answer staff will try to find someone who can help.
  • Welcomes parents/carers and student views.
  • Helps students with special educational needs and disabilities and their parents/carers to understand reports and explain how the advice will be used in school.
  • For deaf parents, a text number to contact the school 07834030042.
  • Invites parents/carers, if helpful, into school to look at how they can support a young person with special educational needs and disabilities or example training in specific information technology packages used on the computer such as Clicker 6 or in British Sign Language.
  • Welcomes parent/carers for coffee morning or information sessions.
  • Links parents with other professionals and outside agencies who may be able to provide support and/or advice, for example at Transition.


QUESTION 7: What support helps students with special educational needs and disabilities to be happy, safe and healthy?

  • Heads of year and pastoral support officers helps form tutors with day to day care for all students including those who have special educational needs and disabilities.
  • The Family Liaison Officer can link with parent/carers and the student to support with everyday home difficulties.
  • The Learning Support Assistant or Educational Communicator attached to the tutor form is often a key worker and will see the student at the beginning of each day.
  • One to one or small group social skills help students build self-esteem and confidence.
  • Students come to lunch-time clubs. In the second half of spring term there will be opportunities to join small friendship groups during lunchtimes.
  • SISPO have a breakfast club, a drop in lunch time facility.
  • SISPO, pastoral support officers and the special educational needs and disabilities department work with students and their parents/carers to offer advice and support for social emotional and mental health needs.
  • The school work with the Child and Mental Health service (CAMHS) and Deaf CAMHS for the Hearing Impaired.
  • Counsellors based in SISPO work on a one to one or in groups with students with needs such as self-harm, eating disorder, bereavement and depression, protective behaviours.
  •  A pre-exam “Anxiety” workshop support is provided.
  • The Family Worker provides support and practical help to parents/carers.
  • SISPO provide guidance (Mentoring) on lots of things such as raising self-esteem, social skills, bullying, managing poor behaviour and anger.


QUESTION 8:  How the school addresses bullying?

Bullying is not tolerated at Icknield High School. The school work to ensure that students learn in a happy, supportive, caring and safe environment where they feel comfortable about who they are without others judging them and without fear of being bullied. Arrangements are in place to deal with incidents of bullying in school. The school has written an anti-bullying policy and uses this advice to deal with bullying. The policy is found on the school website.


QUESTION 9: How will teaching support a student with special educational needs and disability?

  • Good Quality First Teaching is provided in all classrooms.
  • To support students with special educational needs and disability to make good progress teachers use a stepped approach. If one step does not work another extra step is used. Teachers use a pattern of ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW to change the way they work, find answers and address the barriers stopping good progress.

  • Teachers find out about what is stopping good progress by using different approaches such as:
  • Talking with the student and their parent/carer.
  • Agreeing small targets and seeing if these help progress.
  • Changing the way they teach perhaps using easier words or breaking work into small chunks.
  • Providing more support, perhaps checking on progress more often, asking an extra adult to help, arranging small group work.
  • Looking at assessments that show student strength and using this to support a weaker area.
  • Getting advice from the special needs and educational and disability department and the The SENCO may carry out special one to one work or watch in class.
  • Getting advice from experts such as speech and language therapists or educational psychologists.
  • Working with the special educational needs and disability department on interventions for reading or spelling or understanding the academic language in lessons.
  • Using the information on the inclusion passport from the student, their parent/carer and school staff. The inclusion passport is a document prepared with students, parents/carers and the special educational needs and disability department that tells school staff useful information about students.

 Teachers working with students who have special educational needs and disabilities are supported by people who are experts, sometimes, from outside school.


QUESTION 10: What different types of support can the student receive in school?

There are different types of support in schools

  • In class support – Using the Assess, Plan, Do, Review model a teacher may ask an additional adult to work with a student or groups of students to help them understand the work.
  • Out of class support in a one to one or small group situation to work on the same work as classmates.
  • Support to develop special skills such as language work or reading or mathematics.
  • Talking support in groups or one to one to help students find answers to their difficulties.
  • Talking support to help students feel better about themselves.
  • Support to find out more about weaknesses and to understand what to do about these.
  • Lunch and break time support so that supervised social time is available.
  • Support to move safely around school.
  • After school classes and homework support.
  • Support and training to become more independent.
  • Support to help families.
  • Supervision or special arrangements for personal care.
  • Access arrangements for examinations that sometimes provide readers or writers, or extra time or BSL Signer.

In addition support may be given to students in many ways, such as:

QUESTION 11: How will the school support students out of lessons such as lunch and break times and make sure they have access to after school clubs, school trips and journeys?

School lunchtime.

  • The school library is open.
  • Tutor rooms are open.
  • Year seven have a supervised games club.
  • SEND classrooms have supervised areas for games, computer use or for chatting to friends.
  • SEND department have homework, film and craft club.
  • SISPO have a lunch and break-time drop in.
  • Early supervised lunch.

Outside the school day.

The school is inclusive and if students with SEND wish to go on trips open to their classmates, the school puts in place reasonable adjustments to allow this to happen or if not possible will offer another option.

  • Students with SEND who attend after-school clubs, catch-up lessons can have an extra adult to help them.
  • School trips or out of school events can be supported by extra adults.
  • Extra-curricular activities are sometimes adjusted for students with physical need.
  • Students with SEND have extra opportunities to show their skills, such as inter-school sports like Boccia and curling.


QUESTION 12:  How does the school involve young people in decisions that affect them?

  • The school Student Voice encourages students to have their say about improving the school community.
  • In addition students with SEND give their views on lots of things in ways that are best suited for them e.gs spoken, written, or through a friend, or familiar adult.


QUESTION 13:  How are the schools’ resources used to support students with special educational needs, Hearing Impairment and disability?

Students with Statements of special educational need and disability or Education Health Care plans have special plans that tell the school how much support school must provide each week.

Each plans says that school must provide:

– 12.5 hours of support from the school budget.

– Additional hours of support that are worked out by using Luton local authority scale.

Occasionally, Luton local authority’s high needs budget gives additional money to the school if more resources than are written into the plan are needed for the student to make progress.

The plan also tells the school what type of support is needed for the student to make progress.

These plans are legal documents. A meeting is held every year.  Parents/carers, the student, school staff, and professionals attend a meeting to look at how resources have been used to support student progress and to plan for the next year. This is recorded on a special form and sent to the Local Authority and to everyone who attended the meeting.

Students with SEN (special educational need) support are given extra support funded from the school notional budget. This can be up to 12.5 hours of weekly support. SEN support is often provided for a short period of time to help a student make progress in a special area.

Sometimes a student will require more resources than can be provided at SEN support. (More than 12.5 hours each week.) The school uses the notional budget to provide extra resources. The type of support and level of resources are recorded over time. Parents/carers and professionals review this high level of support and decide if this support will be needed over a long time. If so information is sent to the Local Authority to request an Education Health Care plan.


QUESTION 14:  What services external to school can provide support to students with special educational needs and disabilities?

All students in school may at some stage throughout their school career need support from services outside school.  School work with the following outside services.


Experts from these services help school to support students by:

– Providing specialist advice.
– Providing training to develop school staff skill.
– Developing and confirming that school practice is appropriate to student need.
– Working with and supporting students and parents/carers.
– Providing support to school staff.

With a few rare exceptions, external staff will work with students only after discussion with, and permission from parents/carers and the student.

External professionals become involved with school and students by:

  • Continuing involvement after the student moves to Icknield High School.
  • A referral.

Referrals are generally made by after discussion with parent/carer and in most cases the student. Very occasionally a referral is made without permission. Referrals can be made by:

  • Parent/carer.
  • The student.
  • School staff.
  • An outside school professional already working with the student.
  • By recommendation contained in a professional report.

The school receive reports from outside professionals if parent/carer permission is given. Up-to- date advice is very useful and can be written into strategies on the students’ inclusion passport to circulate to teachers.  Information is always handled with sensitivity and respect. Parents/carers can request that school are copied into reports.


QUESTION 15:  How are school staff supported to work with students with special educational needs, Hearing Impairment and disabilities and what training do they have?

School staff are supported to work with students in many ways.

  • Support from the SENCO and the special educational needs and disability department.
  • Support from the Hearing Impaired Department staff.
  • Deaf Awareness training.
  • Support from professionals like the Educational Psychology Service or the Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) team.
  • The Assess, Plan, Do, Review model provides increasing levels of support and advice to teachers.
  • In 2016 ‘drop in sessions’ with the Educational Psychology service are available to staff to discuss strategies and problem solve.
  • The SENCO is available during an extended school day to meet with individual members or small groups of staff.
  • Meetings with Heads of Year, Pastoral Support Officers, SISPO, and Special educational needs and disabilities department plan support for students.
  • The Special educational needs and disabilities department and outside professionals help the Looked after Children Officer with advice for good provision for Looked after Children.
  • Newly Qualified Teachers access additional training.
  • Some SENCO classroom observations occur and provide staff with advice and strategies within the classroom.
  • Occasionally teacher conferences will be held to share expertise and plan appropriate strategies to promote the inclusion and progress of students or groups of students with complex needs.
  • Advice and strategies are included on the Inclusion Passport. The objectives from Statements of special educational need and disability, or Educational Health Care plans are broken down into smaller targets for use in the classroom.

School staff have regular training after school or on training days. Examples of recent special educational needs and disability topics have included Speech Language and Communication Need, positive handling, Classroom differentiation, the effective use of support staff in the classroom, questioning training, and supporting access arrangements in public examinations.

In January 2016, most staff working in the special educational needs department accessed a full day of training upon mental health delivered by the mental health charity MIND. The SENCO has accessed training opportunities provided by the local authority and national agencies to maintain and develop her professional competencies.

Some staff working in the special educational needs and disability department have completed a level three National Vocation Qualification; a work based qualification which recognises the skills and knowledge a person needs to do a job. Other staff currently attend an Outstanding Teaching Assistant Program. The Speech and Language Therapist is mentored and supported by an experienced colleague.

Learning Support Assistants often progress onto graduate teaching schemes.


QUESTION 16:  How will school support a student in moving on to another school, or college or to the next key stage in their education or life?

Moving to a new year

Some students need extra support to prepare for the new school year. This support is provided by:

  • Making books or plans for students to use over the holiday period to remind them and parent/carer of the plans for September.
  • Opportunities to write down or draw their worries and talk these through with staff.
  • Visits to new classrooms or new areas of school.
  • Sometimes a visual timetable
  • Earlier notice of their timetable and discussion about this.

Moving from Key Stage three to Key stage four

During year eight there are many opportunities for students and their parent/carer to talk about examination option choices. They can.

  • Discuss option choices with school staff including SEND staff and key workers.
  • Work with special educational needs and disability staff to fully understand the work involved in each KS4 choices.
  • Discuss reducing the number of examination options to use some of this curriculum time for extra catch up/homework help, or to work on basic skills.
  • Think about doing extra work in the Special educational needs and disability department to help develop their life skills.

A few students take life skill courses such as Titan or SMILE to help self-confidence and independent living.
Some students take modules of study to understand and practice the skills needed in life and the work place.
Some students will take English functional skills. This is a course of study that can be continued in college.

Moving from Icknield School to College or Sixth form

For students with a statement of special educational needs and disability/Education Health Care plan.

  • Plans are discussed and made at the year nine annual review.
  • Minoo Beech, the Learning Difficulties and Disabilities Personal Advisor attends the review. Minoo works with the student and parent/carers, school and college or sixth form to put careful plans in place.

All students with special educational needs and disability

  • In year ten students have taster visits to local colleges and sixth form. A Learning Support Assistant or Educational Communicator is always on site, usually in the coffee bar, to be available should a student need additional support.
  • Students who decide on a Pathfinder course at college have additional college visits.
  • Some students with SEND need personalised support, perhaps extra visits or meetings with Key staff.

Shared work with college or Sixth form.

  • Staff from college meet with students with SEND at school.
  • The local sixth form college SENCo host information exchange meetings for school staff.


QUESTION 17:  How accessible is the school environment?


The school was built just after the Second World War. It was originally split into a boys and girls school and had fewer students. Over the years there have been many changes. Today-

  • Wheel chair users have access to most areas. Two small areas in the school are not wheelchair accessible.
  • The Art rooms are on the second floor, however reasonable adjustments would be made for the teaching group of a physically disabled student to access the Art curriculum.
  • There are two disabled toilets in the school. One toilet has a height adjustable bed/changing facility, a shower and a tracked hoist system.
  • A mobile hoist and sling are available; school staff are trained in hoist and manual handling and moving techniques.
  • Lesson bells and fire alarms flash and ring.
  • The Hearing Impaired Department is sound proofed.

Regular accessibility walks and individual risk assessments are in place. Students, parents/carers, school and health professionals plan adaptations and reasonable adjustments to access school activities.
Students who have difficulty with handwriting can use writing slopes, seating cushions. Adapted pens and scissors, laptop/notebook access and if appropriate, voice to text software or Dictaphones to record their work are available. Scribes may also be used if the student meets assessment criteria.

Staff in the Hearing Impaired department provide support for teachers, students and or parents and carers who are deaf. British Sign Language interpreters are available for meetings and there is opportunity to receive information via text. British Sign Language classes are available for parent, school staff and students. Additional information about the hearing impaired provision can be located in the Local Authority /Icknield Hearing Impaired local offer.

Parents/carers who have English as an Additional Language use school staff as interpreters at official school meetings. If school staff are not available to support the mother tongue translations an official translation agency may interpret important meetings. School can also offer one member of staff who is a Pahari speaker and has British Sign Language skills.

QUESTION 18:  Who can parents/carers contact for further information at the school?

For information relating to:

  • General school matters parents/carers should contact the Pastoral Leader.
  • Specific special educational needs and disability issues parents/carers should contact Barbara Jones, SENCO.
  • Looked after Child matters parents/carers should contact Angela Brennan.


There is a clear school procedure if parents/carers have any complaints. School staff will listen to your concerns and will follow up issues. School staff will always be happy to meet with you and try to help resolve situations. The School is committed to working closely with parents/carers. Remember, no problem is too small and can often be prevented from becoming a bigger issue.

If you continue to feel an issue has not been resolved then you are entitled to contact the Governing Body. Currently the chair of school governors is Mr Steve Blake. A full list of Governors can be found on the school website.


Information about admission to Icknield High school can be found on the school website.

For further information parents/carers may wish to contact the Luton admission team at:

Luton Borough Council Admissions Team, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, LU1 2BQ

Tel: 01582 54 80 16 Email: admissions@luton.gov.uk Web: http://www.luton.gov.uk/admissions
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 9am-4pm.


Admission for a student who has a Statement of Special educational needs and disability or an Education Health Care plan.

The admission procedure to Luton schools for students who have plans is different and considers parent preference and not catchment areas.

The process involves people from the Local Authority SENAT (Special Educational Needs Assessment Team).

More information can be found by contacting:

SENAT, Futures House, The Moakes, Luton, Bedfordshire. LU3 3QB

Tel: 01582 548132.  E-mail: senat@luton.gov.uk  Web: www.luton.gov.uk/…/sen


Luton Local Authority have written a Local Offer. This gives information about education, health and social care services available in the Luton area. If you would like further information on the Luton Local Offer set out by Luton Borough Council, please contact Davina Stubbs, Manager of the Special Educational Needs Assessment Team (SENAT)  Tel: 01582 548158.

Alternatively, please access the Luton Local Offer directly by following the link to Luton Borough Council’s website on the schools website or by clicking on the link below:
Icknield staff hope you have found the Special educational needs and disability information report useful. We are keen to improve the way we work with students and their parents and carers and would welcome comments and suggestions as to how we can improve the information contained in this report. Contact: Tel: 01582 576561 Email: SShuttleworth@icknield.sch.beds.uk